Sunday, 20 March 2016

Medieval Walls

Since starting to collect "Warmachines" models recently, I now need to set up a display shelf. I have a shelf but it is bare. I found these card models on www.davesgames.net and they seem perfect to line the back of the shelf as a mini diorama.

David Graffams Paper models are excellent

I bought the files which come as printable pdf files with loads of detail inside. Multiple layers being common to completely personalise the printout. At a cost of €4 it is really good value. Once you select which variant to print, print onto a good quality printer paper.....something Matt is best.
I use a canon paper on a canon inkjet printer MG3250.

Photo Matt paper costs a bit more but is worth it for the quality printout.

In my experience it is best to build a card model and then cover it in the printed out high quality printed skins. The card models can be built from good quality Bristol board......1.5mm thick is good.

On reviewing the models I see that the complete height is too tall to fit in my display shelf so I will use only the tower base and scratch build a shallow flat roof for them.

A little roof to top off the tower.


Once the tower bases are completed, I measured the available height for the roof and found a 10mm high roof would fit. I wanted to have the roof removable so I planned a 10mm deep skirt to fit down over the tower.
Since the flatter roof does not fit the printed skin, I decided it was an opportunity to try my hand at scratch building a roof with wooden shingles.
With measuring up, the roof panel was 70mm x 80mm , scored down the middle on one side and scalpel cut lightly on the other so the roof folded neatly in the middle and then glued to the roof supports. This allows a nice overhang all round, about 10mm on each side.

The roof supports are made from 2mm balsa. The "shingles" are made from 1mm card. Cut strips 10mm wide with a scalpel, then cut roughly with a scissors so there are random sizes.

Who knew scratch building a roof could produce such good results.


To support the first row of shingles, a 1mm strip of 1mm card was glued to the upper side of the roof. The first row of shingles was glued to this with the other end resting on the roof. This gives the correct angle for the shingles and allows subsequent rows to glue down well. Each subsequent row overlaps the previous row by half the tile length. The shingles on the upper rows cover the joints on the lower rows....just like in real life. Using different sizes and making sure the rows are not aligned perfectly adds to the realistic feel of the roof. The uppermost row is cut to whatever length is required to ensure a good fit.

Adding each row and gluing down soon builds up a decent roof.


The roof is finished with some card ridge tile caps and fitted to the tower base.....perfect !!!!


The tower looks great with its mini roof.



No comments:

Post a Comment